Thursday, February 26, 2009

Here we go

We've been tossing the idea back and forth for a while now: moving Will to a Big Boy Bed. I've wanted to hold off for as long as possible in an effort to maintain that one last shred of infancy (bottles are gone, as are the jokes about his lack of teeth); also because I kind of liked having him caged and not able to get out of bed once we stuck him in there. Kind of my own sort of security blanket.

We were able to postpone the inevitable for a while for several reasons, number one of which is Will never attempted to get out of his crib on his own. Surprising, I know, given his penchance for running away. The second of which is we didn't (think we) have access to a nice twin size mattress--we didn't want to buy one because the crib we bought way back when converts to a nice full size bed and I didn't want to have buy a twin now and then a full size later and then be stuck with a twin mattress that I would then have nothing to do with. (Damn, that's a LONG sentence). Because, if you've ever been to my house, you'd understand that the last thing we need is more large furniture.

Anyway, my MIL swept in and saved the day as she often does and volunteered a mattress my sister used to have. So Jason carted it home with him after Grampa Day today and we put it together during the evening. I've gotta say Will's room has never looked better. It's so clean. I mean I washed baseboards.

So finally, we started bedtime ritual as normal. Took a bath, drank some milk, crawled onto the countertops to steal M&Ms from the bowl I keep up there for rewards (NOTE: that's been changed) and whacked the ping pong ball around the kitchen a while.

7:50 Reading with Daddy

8:05 Reading with Mommy (please notice it's after 7pm so I become Mommy)

8:20 Mommy puts Will in bed. Will stands up and cries. We sing ABCs one more time with him doing his little sit-dancing in my arms.

8:25 Mommy puts Will back in bed while he cries and whines for blanket on. I'm really not sure what he means when he says this as he's completely covered from literal head to toe. Continuously rub his back to try to get him to sleep.

8:30 Try to leave with Will yelling at me to put his damn blanket on.

8:40 Glorious Daddy goes in to get him calm.

8:45 Glorious Daddy walks back out after having successfully gotten the crown prince to sleep.

So in summation, while Will has shunned Glorious Daddy all week long, he apparently loves him enough to feel comfortable and loved in return to drift off into sleepyland. Or GD bored him.

Now it's 9:20pm and we've yet to hear a peep. Wish us luck.

2 comments:

dougnlarry said...

Alright Will! Way to go!

(I hope he slept all night with no problems.)

Bethany said...

Dude, that's awesome...for all. You doing OK?