Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Happy Birthday Abba!

Today is Mom’s birthday.

The past two years with Will has made me really appreciate my mom (and y’all know how much I already appreciate my mom). I’ve realized I need to get a move on if I’m going to half as awesome as my mom is/has been her entire life.

My mom made the birthday book for my elementary school library. Every child in that school got to choose a book in honor of his/her birthday; the child’s name and the name of the book was recorded in this… what I can only describe as the precursor to scrapbooking (which makes me laugh now knowing my mom’s thinking on scrapbooking). Anyway, there were balloons or presents or cakes or whatnot to transcribe each child’s name/book, but there was only one pink balloon. One pink balloon that had been reserved for Courage, Dana for Jill Calonico because I loved pink balloons.

My mom put notes in my lunch bag every so often, even when I was in high school.

My mom would make me a turkey bacon sandwich every morning if I asked her to (and sometimes I didn’t even have to ask).

My mom apologized and let me cry ran she ran over my first cat. Then, covered in kitty blood, she laughed with my friends and me when she told me she’d run over the second cat (both lived, btw, and went on to have very long kitty lives).

My mom took me to Fuddrucker’s on her 40th birthday because she didn’t want to be home when her birthday Strip-o-Gram arrived (and I’m not sure if I’m supposed to remember that or not).

My mom continued to let me wear my Strawberry Shortcake shoes even after they started smelling so badly they had to left outside at night.

My mom let me drive her fun little red sports car whenever I “needed” to.

My mom made me a Gloria VanderButt jean skirt when I was a kid.

My mom didn’t let me get too scared when I had a large, scary cyst removed. She took care of me.

My mom let me take care of her when she had a small, even more scary lump removed. She still didn’t let me get too scared.

My mom made my homecoming and prom dresses. She made my best friend’s wedding dress when her mom couldn’t.

My mom lives farther away than I’d like and I don’t get to see her as often as I’d like to. But she always answers the phone when I call and will tell me to suck it up when I’m being ridiculous (which is often).

My mom was always my mom when I was growing up, but now she’s my friend, too.

Happy Birthday, Mom—I love you.

2 comments:

dougnlarry said...

Awww. I'm in tears here. Tell your mom I said Happy Birthday too. She always was a cool mom.

Do you remember your birthday party in maybe the 4th grade? I remember we all dressed up with tons of makeup and fake nails and then we had crappy jobs assigned to us. Mine was to clean up poop after a parade. And we all did something on video too, an interview or something, I don't remember exactly. It was super fun, obviously, since I haven't forgotten it 20-something years later. Lots of good memories of your mom. She always was so creative.

Matt Calonico said...

boo-freak'n-hoo! My ode to ma wasn't a tear jerker. Very nice, tho'.

Hey check this out, it FREAKS me out......

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/634781/